Murray Through to His First Paris Semi

Andy Murray battled his way through to his first ever French Open semi-final. He made hard work of his match with Argentina’s Juan Ignacio Chela, eventually winning in straight sets, 7-6 (7-2) 7-5 6-2 in two hours and 53 minutes.

It sets up a big time semi final with five-time champion Rafael Nadal on Friday.

Murray had a 6-1 head-to-head winning record against Chela going into the match and he had only dropped one set in the last 16 played with Chela. With this history Murray was odds on favourite and should have wrapped up an easy win, but it was another windy day in Paris and another battle for Murray.

Murray once again started the match slowly, he was broken twice in the first 5 games and fell 4-1 behind in the opening set. It’s becoming a worrying trend in Murray’s match that he only begins to play his best tennis when he is behind and today was no different. Murray levelled the set at 5-5 and the set went into tie break that Murray secured comfortably.

The second set was almost a polar opposite of the first, this time Murray took a 4-1 lead and it was Chela’s turn to level things up at 5-5. Yet another break of serve for Murray and he would have a third chance to serve it out the set, eventually taking the second set.

Chela’s resistance was now over and the third set was a much more straightforward affair. After the match Murray said,

It was just very up and down match.  The wind doesn’t help, but it was a really scrappy match. I didn’t start well and then got a little better, I started moving better towards the end of the first set. Then I got up in the second, sort of maybe lost concentration a little bit, which you can’t afford to do against someone like Juan who has a lot of experience on this surface. Something I definitely won’t get away with against Rafa. Then in the third set I played better, but it was just very scrappy. I didn’t think the standard of tennis was particularly good, I struggled a bit with my rhythm, but I got through in straight sets.”